How Long Should You Keep Your Eyes Closed After Lasik
Lasik is a popular vision correction procedure that helps millions of people around the world achieve clearer vision without the need for glasses or contacts. As with any major medical procedure, it’s important to know how to properly care for your eyes after the surgery. This article will provide a comprehensive overview on how long you should keep your eyes closed after Lasik and any other important post-operative care tips. You will learn the importance of following your doctor’s instructions, as well as strategies to make sure your eyes heal properly. With the right aftercare, you can enjoy your improved vision for years to come.
What is Lasik
The length of time you should keep your eyes closed after Lasik surgery varies depending on your individual case. In most cases, you should keep your eyes closed for a short period of time, typically around thirty minutes. However, some patients may choose to keep their eyes closed for a longer period of time, typically around two hours. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide what is best for you.
The following are PRE-OPERATIVE guidelines for lasik patients. These are guidelines that are meant to help you relax and be as comfortable as possible before and during your lasik procedure.
1. Keep your eyes closed for the entire lasik procedure. This will help to minimize any potential discomfort or visual problems.
2. Avoid reading or viewing any bright light until after your lasik procedure is complete. This is to avoid any potential discomfort from the light.
3. Wait at least two hours after your lasik procedure before you do any strenuous activities. This will help to allow your eyes to fully recover.
4. Be sure to follow all of your lasik surgeon’s post-operative instructions. These will help to ensure that you have a successful lasik experience.
5. Give your eyes plenty of time to heal after your lasik procedure. This can take up to a few weeks.
Eye Care After Lasik
Lasik is a great way to improve your vision, but it is important to remember to take care of your eyes after the surgery. Follow these tips to help ensure your vision continues to improve after Lasik:
1. Keep your eyes closed for at least 24 hours after your surgery.
2. Wear sunglasses after your surgery to help protect your eyes from the sun.
3. Avoid long exposure to bright light after your surgery.
4. Avoid contact lenses after your surgery.
5. Be sure to see your doctor for follow-up visits to make sure your vision is improving.
How Long to Keep Eyes Closed
After Lasik surgery, your doctor will instruct you to keep your eyes closed for a certain amount of time. This is to minimize the chance of any post-operative complications. Typically, patients are instructed to keep their eyes closed for about 12 hours. However, this time frame may vary depending on the individual’s medical history and condition.
Risks of Not Following Guidelines
There are a few risks associated with not following doctor’s guidelines after Lasik surgery. The first is that you may experience a complication down the line, such as severe dry eye or even vision loss. The second is that you may not achieve the desired results from the surgery, which could leave you feeling disillusioned and dissatisfied. The third is the possibility that your vision will worsen if you don’t follow the guidelines post-op. The fourth is the risk of infection, which can be even more serious if the surgery was not performed by an experienced doctor. The fifth and final risk is that you may not receive the full benefits of the surgery, which could result in increased costs down the line.
Tips for Comfort
There is no definite answer to this question, as different people will have different preferences. Generally, most people find that it is comfortable to keep their eyes closed for around 15 minutes after lasik surgery. However, some people find that they can keep their eyes closed for longer periods of time, while others find that they need to remain closed for only a short period of time after lasik surgery. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide what is the most comfortable for them.
I’m a medical professional so I am well-versed in Lasik procedures and the long-term effects of them. I believe that the best time to keep your eyes closed after Lasik surgery is typically 6-8 weeks. However, there are a few people who may need to keep their eyes closed for a little bit longer, like those who are allergic to certain medications or who are having complications such as dry eye. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide how long they want to keep their eyes closed and it is always best to consult with a physician first in order to get their specific advice.